Wednesday, November 16, 2011

You can learn a lot from a 6 year old

"Mom...people kiss you...and then they leave."

"I wish my Dad was here...I wish he could come to my birthday...I wish I could give him a hug."

In two phrases - he sums up more emotional trauma, drama and heartache than any child should understand. He has summarized the last almost 7 years of his life - and the last several of mine.

Do I teach him to have a closed heart? Do I teach him to look before he leaps like I have failed to do sometimes? Do I apologize for not finding a better partner...trusting my gut...sticking up for myself?

No.

I hold him and hope someday he understands that it wasn't my plan - that I had other plans, goals, ideas of what would be. Someday he will understand that life happens when you're busy making plans. That it is better to have an open heart than walls higher than the trees. Even walls can be rebuilt. Broken hearts can heal.

Where I've been has resulted in where I am today. If it wasn't for that rocky road, that zig-zagged path, he wouldn't be in my life...I wouldn't have the bond I have. Had the opportunity to see him every day of his life. Raise him - teach him - show him.

Show him that even through challenges, you can succeed. Even storms end. Rainbows happen.

To everyone who has broken my heart, stepped on me, called me names, gotten in my way, made me forget myself, hated me, loved me, kissed me and left...

THANK YOU.

PS - and if it weren't for my storms, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to hit the jackpot at the end of the rainbow.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Annie. Come east to visit us sometime!
    Michele and Mia

    ReplyDelete